CBM regularly receives requests from pastors and lay leaders. They ask if we will work with them to develop a mission strategy for their local congregation, and raise the profile of mission in the shared life of their church.
As we talk together, they often express the need for a way to evaluate current commitments and shape the future of their mission engagement. They are passionate about wanting to see members grow in faith and the church grow in numbers.
What is Discover?
Discover is a journey in which the participants open their lives to the needs of the world and the leading of God’s Spirit. Each section recommends a method of reporting and collecting congregational feedback. Discover recognizes that the entire church membership is composed of interested stakeholders.
Vision & Values
Developing a vision and the values that will shape the congregation’s engagement in local, regional and global mission.
Reviewing the congregation’s financial commitments, the investment of volunteer time and the nature of partnerships with outside agencies. This audit requires going back over a period of several years to determine what has been important in the mission engagement of the church.
Matching Need With Vision
Matching needs with vision. Working group members consider opportunities for local, regional and global mission engagement. An attempt is made to create appropriate matches with the interests and gifts of congregational members. The group looks for common themes that can create coherence between local, regional and global.
Seizing the Future
Seizing the future as a mission strategy is developed for presentation to the church. The group remembers that “the power is in the focus.” This means that concentrating on a few things may be better than a shot gun approach to mission.
The end results…
- A strategic plan for mission that encompasses local, regional and global engagement. The plan will give attention to financial support, the commitment of volunteer time and partnership expectations.
- A plan for regular reporting to the congregation about the nature and impact of their mission commitments.
- A statement of values that will guide future mission decisions.
- A sense of congregational ownership and involvement in the mission engagement of the church.
Discover the next step!
1. Download the Discover overview PDF and discuss the Discover program with your church leadership.
2. Book a trained CBM or denominational staff member to work with the congregational facilitator.
3. Order the resource materials.