October 18, 2023
The hospital in Gaza that was hit yesterday has been informally known as the “Baptist hospital” because it was established by the Southern Baptist Convention. There is a Baptist church in Gaza very close to that hospital.
In the West Bank, there are no major issues except lots of demonstrations. In Gaza, things are getting unbearable; people only have one meal per day. There is hope that the humanitarian corridor will open today to allow some food trucks through.
In Israel, there is a lot of grief and loss. It’s difficult to cope with the loss of life and continue living in fear and not knowing what might happen next.
Churches in Israel have been having daily meetings on Zoom to pray together. Baptist churches are mainly located in Northern Israel, which is quite far from the conflict. Baptist churches and members are opening their homes to people evacuating. There is tension in the north as well, and some small towns on the border are being evacuated, but no missiles or major armed conflict. The churches are trying to be places of refuge in the midst of this, offering shelter and counselling support. They are praying that the conflict will end quickly.
- Pray for peace. Pray that the war would end.
- Pray for the government of Israel and pray for the leaders of Hamas, that God would intervene in their lives and they would want to work for peace.
- Pray for long-term solutions so that conflict doesn’t keep happening year after year.
- Pray for those who have been injured.
- Pray for those who have lost loved ones.
- Pray for the children who have been impacted by the war, especially for the psychological impact.
- Pray that food, water and electricity will be able to be provided in Gaza soon.
- Pray for protection for Christians in Gaza and Israel. Pray that they would be safe and their minds would not be polluted by hatred, but would learn to speak the language of peace.
- Pray that God would raise up peacemakers and that through this situation, people would come to know Jesus more as the Prince of Peace.